Tuesday 29 September 2015

Passion Pictures- Goldfrapp Video


Within Ollie Allgrove's talk with the class,I noticed that he mentioned his experiences with music videos. I was interested to see what his music videos were like, and see if I could gain some inspiration and knowledge from them that could help me with my video. One of the artists he mentioned working with was Goldfrapp, who I'd listened to before. While her music does not necessarily correspond with the genre that I'm thinking of using, her blend of synthpop and electronica in the song 'Annabelle' led to an interesting music video.



After watching the music video I was instantly struck by how idyllic it was. The opening shots all show a utopia, and while the video is very simplistic and uses little in the way of visual effects, it remains professional and interesting, we want to watch on to see what might happen to the young girl.
While the beginning of the video resembles a paradise, the black and white filter adds a coldness to the video, which unsettles the viewer a little, hinting that something isn't right. While some shots, especially within the forest appear haunting, and slightly unnerving from an audiences perspective. It is shots like these that demonstrate to an audience that all is not well, and add the tension that makes the music video interesting, besides visually striking.
From watching the music video, and having Ollie's perspective on making it, I was able to gain some possibly useful information that could be used within my music video. I feel like experimentation with various types of shots could help build tension and suspense in my video, which will encourage an audience to watch on. I also feel like experimenting with striking visuals would be interesting, while also having top quality professional cameras in the form of the new Black Magic Mini URSA cameras, which also happen to shoot in 4k, which would make visuals even more striking. 


1 comment:

  1. Some evident independent blogging this week Tom - well done. You are responding well to the support that I offer. Sound timeline and well presented - does it need more detail? You recognise the need to structure the music video and match lyric and image well. This is also recognised a holistic and changeable document which will assist the development of your concept. Please use as a basis for further research and planning and your storyboard. You have also blogged extremely well your notes on Passion Pictures and Ollie Allgrove. Well done.

    ReplyDelete